Bretton Gerard has a wide ranging litigation practice. His practice encompasses commercial and real estate litigation, extraordinary remedies, and arbitration/alternative dispute resolution. Mr. Gerard’s business litigation practice has a specific focus on real estate, partnership disputes, and high-dollar collections. He is also a trained mediator and has extensive experience in settling cases through the processes of mediation and arbitration. Bretton is also fluent in Spanish.
Bretton’s approach is to resolve claims quickly, through summary motion practice or other dispositive motion, if practicable. His familiarity with the judiciary makes him an ideal choice for helping steer national law firms and out-of-state counsel through the unique Texas judicial and arbitration systems. He has acted as Texas counsel for New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Omaha, Atlanta and Charlotte law firms who do not have a standing presence in Texas.
Bretton has had an active trial practice for over twenty-six years. His expertise includes commercial litigation, construction litigation, and insurance litigation. He has also prosecuted and defended clients in trademark and copyright litigation matters.
Bretton’s clients have included real estate investment and development companies, real estate management companies, hotel developers, construction companies and contractors, insurance agents and brokers and major insurance companies. He is equally at home in the courtroom as he is in the boardroom and he understands that claims need to be resolved swiftly and economically.
- Bretton has successfully obtained injunctive relief and other extraordinary remedies for many clients in a variety of settings;.
- Bretton has defended copyright infringement claims in state and federal courts.
- Bretton has successfully first chaired trials involving breach of contract, lien foreclosure, interference with business and real estate disputes involving multi-million dollar properties.
- JD, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1984
- BA, University of Texas at Austin, 1981
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- High Dollar Collection Litigation
- Extraordinary Remedies
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation
- Trade Secrets Litigation
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell1
- Recognized in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar of Register of Preeminent Lawyers2
1AV® Preeminent™ (4.5-5.0) – An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence (www.martindale.com)
2The Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™ and the new Martindale – Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™ are the definitive guides to the most distinguished lawyers and law firms in the U.S. and Canada. Both include only those who have earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating-fewer than five percent qualify. (www.martindaleratings.com).