An experienced real estate attorney who ably handles both transactional and litigation matters, Don Walsh helps his clients evaluate and manage the legal risks involved in their business endeavors. Don carefully explains the legal issues and options involved, recognizing that the ultimate business decision remains the providence of the client. His many years of in depth experience in the real estate arena on both the transactional and litigation side provide Don with a strong foundation that allows him to quickly understand the implications of the transaction or dispute in question, as well as the expectations of the various parties involved. Don uses this knowledge to move his clients’ matters forward expeditiously.
Don’s expertise extends to all areas of real estate, including the planning, acquisition, development, lease, use and sale of property, as well as all areas of real estate litigation. He also has substantial experience in mortgage and asset based lending transactions. Don’s clients range from individuals to real estate investment and development companies to major banks. His clients always appreciate Don’s ability to stay calm and provide well-reasoned legal advice.
- Don has organized corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, condominium regimes and homeowner associations, and has provided such entities with representation in connection with litigation, statutory compliance and corporate governance.
- Don has represented borrowers, developers, contractors, institutional lenders, tenants and landlords at both the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts, as well as in binding arbitration proceedings in connection with the prosecution or defense of claims arising out of complex transactional relationships, and the respective rights and obligations that are imposed upon the parties by contract, circumstance or law.
- In addition to litigation seeking damages, Don has successfully handled requests for, or objections to, emergency injunctive relief, as well as attachments, garnishments and receivership proceedings.
- Don recently represented the developer at the closing of a $26 million development loan for a new apartment project in Houston, Texas.
- Don negotiated and handled all documentation for the purchase, development, management, marketing and eventual sale of a large North Texas residential project.
- Don has drafted and negotiated commercial lease agreements (and ground leases) for a variety of projects, and has also represented his clients in the enforcement of lease agreements.
- Don handled all legal work relating to the acquisition and financing of 40 franchise video stores (and related properties) in four states, and the settlement of fraud claims in connection therewith.
- Don drafted documentation for the purchase of aircraft repair and maintenance facilities at Love Field and enforced, through binding arbitration, the environmental indemnities provided by seller.
- Don represented clients in the assemblage of 22 urban tracts into a single development parcel with acquisition and development funds provided through a mix of private and public resources, including block grant funds, subsidized financing (construction and permanent) and HUD rental assistance contracts.
- JD, The John Marshall Law School, cum laude, 1969
- BA, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, 1966
- Banking and Finance
- Business Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial and Residential Development
- Construction Litigation
- Corporate and Securities
- Equity Placements
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate Transactions
- Retail and Commercial Leasing
- State Bar of Texas
- Order of John Marshall
- Gavel Society
- State Bar of Texas
- Illinois Bar
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell1
1AV® Preeminent™ (4.5-5.0) – An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence (www.martindale.com)