Jay Ray focuses on helping his clients resolve conflicts as efficiently and effectively as possible. Jay’s broad based litigation and appellate practice includes all types of commercial litigation from breach of contract to securities litigation to construction litigation, bankruptcy litigation, and post trial appellate proceedings. Jay’s clients are equally varied, ranging from corporations in the sports and entertainment industry to middle market companies to individuals. Jay also has significant expertise in deceptive trade practices, non-compete agreements, and disputes involving the Texas Insurance Codes.
While Jay enjoys winning, he is often able to use his knowledge of the law and his ability to quickly identify key legal issues to resolve conflicts before trial or even before legal process has been instituted. He has represented clients in numerous federal and state courts in Texas, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the Supreme Court of Texas. Jay’s clients appreciate his personal concern, as well as his ability to understand not only their objectives, but how the matter at hand impacts their business as a whole.
Jay approaches each matter he undertakes with detailed thoroughness, carefully researching the law and the issues, advising his clients of options, and constructing and presenting persuasive arguments.
Jay is very active in the ABA and other professional organizations and is a frequent speaker at conferences throughout the U.S., Europe and Canada.
- Jay obtained summary judgment in a fuel distribution breach of contact cause of action, successfully defended the $350,000 judgment on appeal, and collected the summary judgment amount for his client.
- Jay settled a matter for a professional sports team client in a dispute over a luxury suite contract, and obtained payment for his client.
- Jay successfully represented a creditor in challenging the U.S. District Court’s ruling that his client had violated a court order by instituting bankruptcy proceedings.
- Jay obtained a temporary injunction in federal court involving a multi-million dollar gas marketing contract.
- Jay successfully defeated a class certification request involving insurance claims in federal court.
- Jay obtained and collected judgment for an elderly investor in a NASD Arbitration against a securities broker.
- Jay represented a wrongfully terminated partner in ICC arbitration.
- Jay successfully represented an automobile dealership in administrative proceedings before the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles relating to dealership ownership and control.
- Jay has been counsel to a national sign company in numerous breach of contract claims and collection of judgments.
- JD, University of Texas School of Law with honors, 1997
- BA, University of Texas at Arlington, cum laude, 1993
- Appellate Law
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Disputes and Arbitration
- U.S. and International Securities Litigation and Arbitration
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division: Chair 2006-2007; Council Member 2001 to 2010
- General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Division: Council Member 2006- present
- ABA House of Delegates: Member since 2003
- Texas Young Lawyers Association: served on Board of Directors
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers: served on Board of Directors
- Association du Jeune Barreau de Montreal: named Honorary Member, 2007
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas