Samuel A. Mills represents clients in corporate and business transactions of virtually every variety. In addition to counseling clients on a day-to-day basis in connection with the ongoing operation of their businesses, Sam is routinely called to upon to handle the most important business transactions of our clients. His practice includes mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of various asset classes, private equity and financing transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, as well as the formation and structuring of companies and partnerships, and the negotiation of business deals and entity agreements.
Sam’s clients include one of the largest privately-held life insurance brokerage general agencies in the country, technology and benefit enrollment and administration companies, broker-dealer and registered investment advisor companies, as well as individual entrepreneurs, investors, business owners, and executives in a variety of industries.
Sam also represents owners, developers, and investors in sophisticated and complex real estate transactions including acquisitions and dispositions; development and construction; leasing; lending and finance; partnerships, joint ventures and funds; and land use. He has substantial experience in financing projects with tax-exempt bonds, having represented clients in dozens of such transactions. In these challenging times, he is often called upon by clients for creative and practical advice in connection with restructuring existing deals and financings and resolving difficult loan, partnership, and guaranty issues.
- Represented insurance and employee benefit brokerage, enrollment, and administration companies in various joint venture, financing, and private equity transactions.
- Represented the President and Chief Operating Officer of the world’s leading manufacturer of advanced portable aircraft weight and balance equipment and heavy-duty portable truck scales in the sale back to the company of a 35% vested share of a related entity.
- Represented the co-founder and 50% shareholder in the formation and structuring of a company that established and operates a national chain of women’s accessory superstores.
- Represented a number of national real estate and student housing developers in the acquisition, financing, and disposition of over $1,000,000,000 of real estate projects financed with tax-exempt bonds. Many of these deals involved the structuring of ventures to operate groups of properties as well as the use of credit enhancement, mezzanine financing, securitizations, and interest rate and total-rate-of-return swaps.
- Represented European institutional investors in the restructuring of over $300,000,000 in U.S. real estate investments consisting of office buildings, apartment complexes, an extended-stay suite hotel chain, and various high visibility development sites located in the Southwestern United States.
- Represented a Dallas-based real estate entrepreneur in the formation and structuring of a joint venture with a major Chicago-based real estate investment firm, formed for the purpose of packaging real estate properties and interests throughout the world for acquisition, financing, syndication, and disposition.
- Represented Dallas-based real estate developer in the sale to a 501(c)(3) organization of four ground leases and related improvements involving student dormitories the financing for which was provided with the issuance of approximately $55 million in tax-exempt bonds.
- Represented landlords and tenants in negotiating and drafting commercial office and retail leases.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Notes Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Baylor University, M.A.
Francis G. Guittard Fellow
- Baylor University, B.A.
Magna cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
- New York
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- State Bar of Texas (Business and Insurance Law Sections, and Section on Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law)
- Dallas Bar Association
- Named a “Rising Star” by the Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines, 2004
- Rated “A-V Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system*
- “Toward an Equitable After-Acquired Evidence Rule,” 94 Columbia Law Review 1525-57 (1994)
- The Honorable Denise Cote, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York, 1995-96
* AV® Preeminent™ (4.5-5.0) – An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence (www.martindale.com)