Steven R. Shaver practices out of our Mesquite Office of Fishman Jackson Ronquillo and has more than 28 years of experience as a trial lawyer. His experience includes jury trials for malpractice, products liability, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, exemplary damages, negligence, gross negligence, DTPA, among other issues. Steve has also handled numerous appeals in both Texas and Federal Courts of Appeal including as Cigna HealthCare’s lead trial counsel and Fifth Circuit counsel in 2004’s “Health law case of the year,” Cigna Healthcare v Ruby Calad, 542 U.S. 200 (2004).
The practice areas for Steve also include covenants not to compete, intellectual property infringement, tortious interference, insurance coverage, bank fraud, statutory fraud, trade secrets, healthcare law, injunctions, minority shareholder oppression, debt, fraudulent transfers, ERISA, products liability, administrative law, public utilities, oil and gas, and construction.
Steve sees litigation as a process not as an end; the client’s needs, goals, economic commitment, and purposes are thoroughly reviewed with the client and a strategy is developed with the client with these elements in mind. As the case advances, the client is always kept informed about the progress of their case and if the case requires a change in strategy.
In addition to the Cigna case, Steve’s representative experience includes a successful jury verdict for a pilot in an aviation accident case, which was named one of Dallas’ Top Ten Jury Verdicts for the year; a take nothing jury verdict for client Leviton Manufacturing in a product liability-fire case; a recent dismissal with prejudice for a national client in a DTPA suit in Orange County, and a recent jury verdict for clients in a fraud case in Dallas County. Steve has tried cases throughout Texas, including the Dallas, Collin, Tarrant, Bexar, Travis, Harris, Bowie, Wichita, Smith, and Nueces counties, and he has also handled cases throughout Oklahoma, such as Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Enid, Norman, Lawton, and Durant.
Steve was a partner in Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman and Dicker, a National Law Journal Top 50 law firm before joining Friedman & Feiger and then starting Shaver & Ash.
- BBA 1982 The University of Oklahoma
- JD 1985 Oklahoma City University
- Commercial litigation
- Deceptive Trade Practices
- Minority shareholder oppression
- Administrative law
- Trade secrets
- Employment law
- Insurance coverage
- Personal injury
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin