Teresa Guerra Snelson has been part of Marcos G. Ronquillo’s litigation team since October 2015. Prior to joining the team, she was an Assistant District Attorney for Dallas County. She was appointed to act as general counsel and to manage the Dallas County District Attorney’s Civil Division. She supervised 19 attorneys and was legal advisor to the county’s elected officials, department heads and employees.
She served as an Associate Judge, 2004-2012, for the Dallas County Civil District Courts. Her responsibilities included assisting the judges presiding over 13 trial courts.
She was in private practice from 1997 to 2003, specializing in insurance defense and business litigation. She began her legal career as an Assistant Attorney General, and has also served as a Senior General Counsel to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Her legal career includes years devoted to meeting the litigation needs of businesses, public institutions, public officials, and injured parties. She is board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. She is a member of the Texas Bar, and is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts and the U.S. Courts of Appeal, Fifth Circuit.
She was honored to serve as President of the Dallas Hispanic Bar Association in 2011 and to Co-Chair the Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention. She continues her service to the organization as the 2016 Scholarship Gala Finance Chair. In 2015 she served as an Advisory Board Member, and was Co-Chair of the Scholarship Gala. She was the recipient of the President’s Award in 2005 and 2013 in recognition of her service.
She is a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, The Dallas Bar Foundation, and the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation. She is a Master in the W.M. “Mac” Taylor American Inn of Court.
As a Magna Cum Laude graduate from the University of Houston, she also earned her Juris Doctor from the University of Houston Law Center.
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Law
- Admitted to Northern, Eastern, and Southern Federal District Courts
- Fishman Jackson Ronquillo , PLLC Dallas, Texas ( Present )
Member of Marcos Ronquillo’s litigation team specializing in Civil Rights, School Desegregation, Business and Catastrophic Personal Injury.
- Assistant District Attorney – Chief of the Civil Division( October 2012 to December 2014 )
Office of the District Attorney of Dallas County
Appointed to act as general counsel and to oversee the Dallas County District Attorney’s Civil Division. Supervised 19 attorneys and nine professional staff employees. Strategized and managed the efficient, expedient and proper handling of the County’s advisory, administrative, transactional, personnel, claim and litigation matters. Ensured compliance with the Open Meetings Act and other statutes unique to governmental affairs. Legal advisor to the County’s elected officials, department heads and employees.
- Associate Judge – Dallas County Civil District Courts (July 2004 to October 2012)
Appointed to assist the judges of the thirteen general jurisdiction trial courts of Dallas County with docket management. Presided over hearings and resolved contested issues. Routinely handled: requests for extraordinary relief; motions for summary judgment; jurisdictional challenges; discovery disputes; default judgments; and, requests for post-judgment relief. Presided over bench and jury trials, by agreements of the parties.
- Henslee, Fowler, Hepworth & Schwartz, LLP – Dallas, Texas (January 2003 to July 2004)
Associate, insurance defense and general business litigation practice. Handled all aspects of litigation from inception through resolution by dismissal through motion practice, trial or alternative resolution.
- Fox, Conner & Snelson Dallas, Texas (July 1997 to December 2002)
Staff Counsel, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company. Responsible for the investigation, resolution and defense of general liability, premises liability, products liability, auto (commercial lines) and motor carrier claims for insureds of the St. Paul. Handled all aspects of the litigation process from inception through dismissal through motion practice, trial, or resolution by settlement. Brief writing and appellate argument experience. Assisted claim professionals with the evaluation of legal risk, the setting of reserves, and the formulation of case budgets.
- Texas Department of Public Safety Austin, Texas (March 1996 to July 1997)
Senior Assistant General Counsel, provided legal services and counsel regarding personnel and litigation matters to the Department’s Commissioners, senior management and its civilian and law enforcement employees. Responsible for the oversight and management of claims and lawsuits involving personal injury, employment matters, and constitutional violations. Duties included the prosecution of personnel violations.
- Office of the Attorney General – Tort Litigation Division, Austin, Texas (August 1991 to March 1996)
Assistant Attorney General, defended state agencies and state employees in litigation governed by the Texas Tort Claims Act. First chair trial and appellate experience.
- University of Houston Law Center – Juris Doctor (May 1991)
- University of Houston – B.A. Political Science, Minor in Spanish Graduated Magna Cum Laudes (May 1998)
Bar and Community Involvement
- Dallas Hispanic Bar Association: Scholarship Gala Finance Chair (2016))
- Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair Scholarship Gala (2015)
- President (2011)
- Co-Chair of the Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention (2011)
- Master, W.M. “Mac” Taylor, Jr. American Inn of Court
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation
- Fluent in Spanish
1AV® Preeminent™ (4.5-5.0) – An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence (www.martindale.com)